Memories of Connor's Adventures

Orlando the Adventurer pulled a Scimitar from beneath his Robes and smiled...

Saturday 16 November 2019

Star Wars: Is anyone there?

TITLE: IS ANYONE THERE?

My job is to scan ships coming and going for signs of a reactor leak.
Largely they are very dangerous. I spend a twelve hour shift in a bucket at the top of a pole scanning ships. So I was there when the Millenium Falcon showed up to our top secret base with the Princess on board. And I was there when I scanned a bunch of X-wings, and Y-wings flying off to destroy the Deathstar.  And there I was as a handful of those same ships returned from their fight... so many lost. And now, I must watch as the ships evacuate the Rebellion. I am the last Rebel on this Jungle covered moon. I get to stay behind and watch as the few transport ships and fighters we have left carry the hopes and dreams of our desperate rebellion out into the Galaxy...

...Because someone had to stay behind and do their job.

Normally there would be a second officer at ground level who coltrols the system that would retract the bucket and pole to ground level. A flip of a switch and I could be down. Maybe they thought to leave some rations for me. Maybe they didnt.
I look down at the Jungle canopy and watch the alien life that makes the canopy it's home flitter between the leaves and branches. Even they sense the departure of the rest of the Rebel ships. What is that? Oh, I see. Its the remains of the Death Star impacting on the Gas Giant of Yavin. I watch as a huge something stirs up the Atmospheric Gas of the distant Yavin. The eye slowly rotates into view and I can see that it is forming a terrible storm.

Its... Beautiful. It realy is.

The sky is growing dark. I suppose its the end of my shift about now. I should be on the ground getting a meal. Maybe getting a drink and wondering how the hell I failed X-wing fighter qualification. Seriously, the damn droid flies the ship and maintains the ship. There shouldnt be a problem.

Damn it Biggs, why I am so tired?

"Just gonna close my eyes for a bit."

Woah... what was that? Weird dream about falling down through the tree canopy. And why was I a dark robed Jedi with a red glowing light saber moving between the trees lighting up the ruins of the old stone temples? That was weird. Just... yeah, that... that was weird.
Nothing out there but Yavin. That huge menacing red eye is still dominating the surface of the Gas Giant. Its like that damn Red glowing light saber. What was that? Why would I even dream about that? It seems to cast a red glow across the Jungle canopy. Usually there is a lot of animal life out at night, but this red glow seems to have driven them into hiding.

Heat sensors dont indicate anything in the upper canopy. Yeah, thats weird. All the animals are hiding from that big red eye.

"I just... cant get sleep... looking at me."

Again with the weird dreams? What was that... some kind of giant floating red eyeball flying above the trees? And again with the glowing red light saber lighting up the stone temple ruins. Just... thats messed up. I just need sleep. Cant go on like this. This is insane. Just wish that switch would activate an pull me down through the canopy... yeah just like that. Beautiful, that... beautiful.

"The red glow not so much... much better. It was starting to make me feel sick." Need to get to the Temple... Drink something.

Trees blotting out the sky... but I'm sure the temple is this way, just like in the dream. Just a little further. There it is, the smooth stone step. I'll just lay down here... stone is so cool. No. No... need to keep going inside for a drink. Need water.

"...so thirsty."

Is this right? Ground... wet. Just need to suck moisture from the stone. So cool.

"...little bit of moisture."

Tongue so dry. Why is it dry? So tired. Got to find more. I can feel it. All that water. Its behind the stone.  Just need something to get it out. Where was that red light saber from? There it is. Just turn you on and cut a hole in the stone right here... damn... its suddenly so hot... damn jungle Thats it. So much water.

Damn red glow. Why is that red glow in here? Jungle canopy stopped the red glow but the temple wont? Why is that red light making that noise? What is that noise? Is there some one there?

"Is anyone there?" I lifted the red glowing light saber and the approaching shadow ignites his own.

"Impressive." The deep tones of a voice kept alive by an artificial respirator. I move the Light saber and it sparks against its red twin blocking its downward swing. "Most Impressive."

No comments:

Post a Comment