Memories of Connor's Adventures

Orlando the Adventurer pulled a Scimitar from beneath his Robes and smiled...

Thursday 25 January 2018

In the Beginning: Gary Gygax wrote a poem


I'M GLAD I'M NOT A SOLDIER
I'm glad I'm not a soldier.
I hate to stand parade, and inspections are a drag.
I'm glad I'm not a soldier.
I hate army cooking, standing guard and early risin.
I'm glad I'm not a soldier.
Who wants to kill or be killed?
Marching.
Fighting.
Dying.
Wow.
A fellow could get hurt that way,
Or an old man, or somebody's mother,
Or some little smiling child.
It is understood that death dealing weapons do not discriminate.
I'm glad I'm not a soldier, sailor, airman or marine.
Too bad people aren't satisfied
Getting killed by accidents or homicidal maniacs,
Bying by disease or "natural causes",
Or just comitting suicide.
If they were, all we would need would be
HELP.
Lots of Help.
Help for ourselves and our fellow man.
Maybe the help we got and gave wouldnt descriminate either.
Aren't you glad you're not a...
Say, maybe you are.
Why?
Think about it sometime when you're not too busy.
You wont be happy if you do,
No matter how you stand.
Something is wrong with us.
Me? I'm just glad I'm not a soldier.

-E. Gary Gygax (Graustark 173, 1969).

No comments:

Post a Comment